A busy road can be a very dangerous place. It is not uncommon for accidents to occur, especially during peak traffic hours. Especially on the roads of New York, the danger of being injured in a car accident can be doubled. It is always best to exercise caution and drive carefully.
Unfortunately, despite all the care that you are going to exercise, you may get into a car accident. A careless driver may speed up their vehicle at the wrong time or take the wrong turn. Usually, there can also be other causes for car accidents in New York, such as
- Over-speeding vehicles
- Speeding at sharp turns
- Driver’s state (drunk or sleep-deprived)
- Impatient driving
The end result is you getting involved in a car accident. When that happens, it is a very stressful situation. However, if that happens, the first thing that you will want to do is to get in touch with a New York City car accident lawyer. Chances are, if the accident is not your fault, then you are entitled to compensation, including charges for medical expenses, car repair and similar other expenses. It is also possible to get your car insurance company to pay for your bills if the situation allows it. However, without a proper auto-injury lawyer, none of that is possible. A car accident attorney can help you claim compensation for the process.
What Can I Get Compensation For After a Car Accident
New York has a law in effect that allows you to get compensation for a few types of damages. Note that the list is not conclusive.
- Medical Compensation
If the other party was at fault, then you are entitled to compensation like medical bills, medicines, rehabilitation and similar bills.
- Car Repair
You may be able to get your car repair charges all compensated if the fault was of the other driver.
- Punitive Charges
You may be able to pursue punitive charges against the other party in rare cases. It is possible in the case of neglect or sheer misconduct from the faulty driver.
Why Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in New York City
After an accident, the last thing that you would want is to go against any insurance company, a faulty driver or any similar entity all by yourself. Sometimes, it is often the case for some people who want to go on their own.
Unfortunately, due to the following reasons, it is not a wise course of action.
- If you are going against car insurance companies or corporations for demanding compensation, they often have professional defence lawyers. You will not stand a chance at all.
- You may very well be either coerced deceptively or forcefully to accept lowball offers. Insurance companies want to get away with paying you as less money as possible.
To avoid the abovementioned scenarios, you will want to hire a professional auto injury attorney. At WeSettle, our lawyers are always ready to help you out. Some of our clients were receiving lowball offers of several hundred dollars. After getting help from our attorneys, the compensation became several thousand dollars. You can contact us for a free consultation. Remember that you may be entitled to compensation far more than what you were told.
Bear in mind that there is no benefit in delaying the process. Ideally, you should hire an attorney as soon as within 30 days of the accident.
What to Do After the Car Accident
While hiring an auto injury lawyer is recommended, there are a few steps that you can take to strengthen your case. They are given below.
- Call 911 immediately after the accident. Get medical help as soon as possible, whether you think your injuries are severe or not. Some injuries don’t show early.
- Check the extent of damage to your car. File the report of motor vehicle accident within 10 days of the accident.
- Call the police immediately. Having a police report will strengthen your case immensely.
- Record everything. Talk to witnesses and record what they say. Ask the police to question the witnesses too. Take pictures of your vehicle and the other driver’s vehicle.
- Never admit fault. It may be used against you. Some companies may even trick you into admitting fault.